Transportation is one of the fastest-growing economic resources of India. From which public transport is most used. But it is said for a long time, no security measures were taken for the public safety.
We have heard of many severe incidents in these fleet like theft, sexual harassment and damage to fleet property.
Many of which could have been prevented with proper
assistance and on time action. So, Security is an important factor for our country.
Government had been trying hard to find a solution for public safety. And finally came up with the solution of AIS 140.
Let’s understand AIS 140 and its Importance.
AIS 140 path to safety
AIS 140 is an acronym for Automotive Industry Standard 140. It is a method to revolutionise and innovate the public transportation system in India.
Due to increase of traffic on the roads, the Indian government has taken the initiative to secure public transportation with AIS 140 GPS. It is standardized by ARAI (Automatic Research Association of India).
It is now compulsory for all public transport system namely buses and taxis as declared by the government.
It is designed for vehicle tracking system, camera surveillance system, and emergency request button. This is useful for public and commercial users both.
This is a security aspect that ensures the safety of the vehicle and its travellers.
Arrival of AIS 140
We are all aware of the Nirbhaya
case of Delhi in December 2012, which made the devastating effect on everybody’s mind. After this incident, the government formed a committee headed by Justice Verma to find a solution for the woman’s safety in public transport. The government came up with Nirbhaya fund for women’s security.
Government approved CCTV installation project along with the panic button and live tracking devices in January 2014. Then MoRTH (Ministry of Road Transport and Highway) suggested setting up Vehicle Tracking and national level vehicle security system for the woman’s safety
BIS with ICAT and DIMITS drafted a standard with a formal AIS committee. In May 2017 the draft
was completed and made mandatory for all vehicles and 1st April 2018 was the date up-till which every public transport had to have AIS 140.
And thus began the journey of AIS 140.
Requirement of AIS 140 Devices
Here we will see few AIS 140 parameters and
you should look for while buying it.
- Should to support 4 digital, 2 analogue and 1 serial communication for any emergency contact
- Needs to be dust, temperature,
- Must provide an emergency button
that is accessible to all passengers seated in the vehicle.
- Must be able to receive aerial signals.
Features of AIS 140 Certification
- Real-time tracking: automatic vehicle location system enables to locate every trip movement of the fleet.
- System disabling alert: Know when someone tries to disable or tamper system.
- Route Management and Transport Scheduling: Efficiently manages routes and schedules fleet.
- SOS alerts: Gets driver emergency help with one click.
- History Report: Systematic history data analysis based on annually, monthly or weekly.
- Battery backup: Inbuilt long lasting battery backup
- Multiple Analog and Digital I/O: GPS system monitoring and controlling external application via inputs and outputs.
- Ensure Public Safety: GPS tracking and panic buttons takes care of passengers and sends help whenever required.
- Monitor driving Behaviour: Checks drink and drive, over speeding, ash driving, excessive idling and more to control driving behaviour.
- Improve Fleet performance: Ensures fleet maintenance, fuel usage, engine performance, etc, which working of fleet.
- Better public transports: Helps people know traffic updates. It helps to choose the best route, prevents traffic violations, and ensuring that vehicles run on time.
- Fleet health Adviser: Efficiently checks fleet health and predicts the chances of issues to come in the future.
- Lack of resources for manufacturing the right technology
- Rejection of Transporter hubs due to other GPS tracking devices
- Expensive infrastructure and setup is not available with the Indian government
- Small industry cannot afford to buy it and bring loss to this industry.
The journey of AIS-140 does not end here, new features like ADAS are yet to come so never stop exploring through this wonderful system. Be safe on road and keep tracking.