The problem that affects everyone is increasing fuel prices and tax. For which companies opt for solar or other natural gases to reduce fuel expense. We can reduce this expense with our driving behaviour.
Not only for fuel consumption but also for vehicle efficiency and reducing accidents with proper driving behaviour.
Eco-driving is the best option for efficient driving behaviour and lesser fuel consumption. Let’s understand Eco-driving.
What is Eco-driving?
Eco-driving is an efficient and effective system that guides you to improvise driving behaviour and reduce fuel usage. The main factors that it looks at is use of breaks frequently and harsh acceleration and tries to prevent them.
It helps you reduce fleet speed and obey traffic rules, and you will not face any sort of penalties. Moreover, it can increase fuel efficiency.
Violations by Driver
- Speeding: “Speed is a thrill, but it kills” is a well-known phrase that we see on the roadsides. When we are in speed, concentrating on the vehicles in front or coming from back is not possible, and then it leads to major damage. Penalty and fines will always follow you when you accompany speed. Paying these fines is never a pleasure for anybody so, better avoid it.
- Harsh driving: Harsh acceleration, hard braking, rough turning and sudden cornering can include this type of driving. The main outcome of harsh driving is accidents or collisions. This also leads to more fuel usage.
- Frequent idling: When you idle fleet even for 5 minutes, it consumes more fuel than turning off and starting the vehicle again. Without understanding this we at traffic signals, to talk on the phone or do any other work we frequently opt for idling instead of turning off the ignition.
- Reduction in maintenance costs
- Controls excessive fuel usage
- Protects environment
- Decreases fleet accidents
- Set your limitations: Eco-driving enables you to set limitations for speed, idling duration, and more. Define your parameters beyond which the drivers should not go.
- Know the violations: Setting violations does not assure, whether the rules are followed or not. But don’t worry as Eco-driving generates alerts which notify you if any of the fleet’s speed is above the assigned limit.
- Decide penalty or reward: Well-defined reports are created to know the overall driving behaviour with vehicle fuel consumption detail. This will help you decide whether to give a penalty or reward to the particular driver according to his driving score.
- Till here, we have seen what Eco-driving can do to improve driving behaviour, but now we will see the steps we can follow as an individual.
- Understand your path ahead. Observe any pedestrian, traffic, and vehicle ahead. Then decide a distance between your vehicle and the object ahead to maintain a steady speed. Steady speed not only helps you prevent accidents but it also consumes less fuel.
- Follow the speed limit of the area you are in to avoid accidents. Every area has its own speed limit and when you drive according to this, it helps to avoid collisions.
- Idling of the vehicle for an hour can consume up to 1 litre of fuel but turning off and restarting takes only 10 seconds to 15 seconds and thus it uses less fuel. Prevent idling when there’s no traffic.
- Carry less luggage or goods as the more weight on the vehicle more fuel consumption. Remove the roof carriers from the fleet when not in use.
- Timely maintenance of the fleet also affects fuel usage and leads to a shorter life of the fleet.
Use Eco-Driving to monitor driving behaviour and to control fuel usage. But as for our safety, it’s our moral duty to improve our driving and spread awareness. Be safe and happy tracking.